Thursday, February 2, 2012

Read Alouds

Little House On the Prairie
334 pages is a long read aloud for a 7 year old. We spent 30 minutes 5 nights a week on this book, until we finished. Surprisingly, my daughter was very interested.  The beginning of the book, when the family thinks their dog Jack didn't survive crossing the swollen creek, captured my daughters attention right away. She was so relieved to know that Jack was still alive. I don't have any concrete plans to continue reading other books in the series but I've heard that Farmer Boy is very good. 

The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes

We have moved on to The Hundred Dresses, at only 80 pages. This book is part of the NPR's Backseat Book Club. We should finish this book within a couple of days.
Book Description from Amazon: At its heart is Wanda Petronski, an immigrant girl in an American school, who is ridiculed for wearing the same faded blue dress every day. When she tells her classmates that she has one hundred dresses at home, she unwittingly triggers a game of teasing that eventually ends in a lesson for all.


Any good read alouds you would like to share with us?




Linking to:

3 comments:

Alice@Supratentorial February 2, 2012 at 3:08 PM  

We are also reading Little House on the Prairie. My boys really like it but it is taking forever! It's our lunchtime read aloud so we do only a little bit every day. I'm still trying to decide it we will do another one in the series or take a break.

Brimful Curiosities February 2, 2012 at 3:31 PM  

I didn't realize that The Hundred Dresses' was NPR's book club pick for February. Thanks for mentioning it. I wonder if my 7yo daughter would enjoy reading it as well?

Amanda February 3, 2012 at 7:54 AM  

Alice, I know what you mean, Little House On The Prairie does take forever. My daughter says she does want to do more in the series but we will be taking a break first.

Brimful Curiosities, we finished The Hundred Dresses last night. My 7 yr old says she didn't understand this book. It's only 80 pages so it only took us 3 nights to read this one. I think it has a good lesson for children.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Heifer International

My Swagbucks

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP