Friday, February 3, 2012

Week 5: Excellence In Reading Challenge



I would just like to thank you for participating in this reading challenge with us. I love hearing about what you are reading and I'm always finding new books to read with my daughter, through your recommendations. I hope you will continue to link up and share your reading experiences with us.

We crossed two books off of our Excellence In Reading Challenge List.

Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig
This was an emotional book about a donkey, named Sylvester, who finds a magic pebble. In a panic, to avoid being eaten by a lion, Sylvester wishes himself to be a rock and the pebble lands nearby. Because he has to be touching the pebble to make a wish, Sylvester finds himself in quite a predicament.  As a rock, he cannot reach the pebble. How will Sylvester ever return to his normal self? This is a great book that will make you empathize with the main character. This book is one of my favorites on our list.

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats turns 50 this year. Published in the early 60's during the Civil Rights Era, this book stirred up some criticism because the main character was African American. Keats was not trying to make a  race statement and race is never mentioned in the book, he just felt that people of color should be in books too.  The book became extremely popular and won a Caldecott Medal. According to letters received by Keats, because of this book, children of color began using brown crayons to draw themselves. Fifty years later, my daughter and I sit here reading this book about a child playing in the snow. It's simple and sweet and a story that most children can relate to.

2 comments:

Gabrielle February 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM  

We loved both of the books we picked this week. We have been reading the picture books before bed. I have been ordering some of the chapter books from the library and we are listening to them together during our commute. It's been a great way for my two boys and I to spend some time "reading" together while we are stuck in the car.

Gabrielle February 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM  

I finally got around to posting about the activity we did to go along with Harold and The Purple Crayon. My boys had a great time recreating the book in our hallway!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Heifer International

My Swagbucks

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP